Friday, July 18, 2008

Bowling, Shabu Shabu and Tennis


Today we met some Japanese friends of my aunt and uncle for lunch and bowling. I forget what their names but I think they were Sachiko and Junke. I don't think either one of those names is spelled right though. anyways, We went to a place at the Daiei Mall called Shabu Shabu, Which is probably one of the most unique dining experiences ever. If you recall in the movie Lost in Translation, when Johannson and Murray get in their fight and they order plates of meat that all look the same- well that is Shabu Sabuu. What you do is you get thinly sliced raw meat on a plate, then you have a pot of bowling water in the middle of the table. You twirl the meat in the hot water and it cooks it. It is quite delicious. You get a variety of different sauces to dip the meat in and also have the option of all kinds of vegetables and whatnot to put into the pot. I favored the mushrooms, which is unusual for me. They were these long skinny ones though, not the fat kind. You cook the food yourself which is also highly unusual. I kept thinking to myself as I gazed into the bowling hot pot of water inches away from my bowl, This would never fly in the states.
After wonderfully stuffing ourselves, we went to the bowling alley on base. This was fun, and the Japanese, especially Sachiko love to bowl. In town is is super expensive to go bowling, but on base it's a dollar so we went. Sachiko is super good, and I am really bad. I can't bowl. all my balls had a curve on them that I couldn't get rid of, and all ended up in the gutter. Oh well. This evening John and I went and attempted to play tennis. We ran all over that court but instead of hitting tennis balls, we were just retrieving them. Either way it was a good workout.tomorrow I'll be getting ready for Mt. Fuji, Which is this Saturday. Can't wait.

No comments: