Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Summary of the past few days...


Chinatown, Yokohama Hippo!!










Ninja Warrior!!!

Electronics District



They made him look Japanese

Luke I wish you were here




I was going to get this for you luke

Oh yess. Sake Barrels. Meiji Shrine



Bless your hands

pray.

Harajuku. Punk Store. Favorite of many

It's like this everywhere. Another Shrine.
Sorry I haven't posted in a while! I've been super busy doing things, and this weekend Aunt Kathleen, Michael, and I went up to Tokyo but before I get to that Here's a summary of my 4th of July...
4TH OFJULY So I had the wierdest 4th of July ever. That morning, we had a super downpour of rain which was actually a good thing, seeing that Uncle John wanted me to run a 5k with him that was being put on by the base. The rain cleared up so unfortunately I had to run. And I did it! But I must say, it was so humid outside! Today we also went to the Chinatown in Yokohama City which was interesting because everything had a Japanese twist on Chinese classics. Dumplings had seafood and stuff in them and there were roasted chestnut stands everywhere!!We also went to a thing that my relative's ex-nieghbors wife puts on called THE HIPPO FAMILY CLUB. What it was, I couldn't exactly say or put into words. Michael hates it but still insisted that I needed to go to it.But what it seemed like to me, was a mixture of childhood sing songs, combined with foreign languages, combined with loud little kids running around EVERYWHERE. I'm glad I went because it was interesting to be able to see the Japanese in a more casual and crazy environment. That night we got home late from Hippo and missed the fireworks. It was wierd that I had such an un-American 4th of July but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Saturday we went up to Tokyo. What a crazy busy and hot city that is! We hung out in a mall that was like the Forum Shops in Las Vegas and then headed back to the hotel for the night. On Sunday we went to the Meiji Shrine and then went to Harajuku, which is notorious for it's crazy street fashion (and I mean crazy). It was a super hot day that day and I think that I was allergic to something there because I had a sore throat that whole day. I also want to applaud aunt Kathleen on her patience and her knowledge of the subway and train systems in and around Tokyo. If I were in charge of navigating, we wouldn't get anywhere and we would all be crying. Monday was spent at another Shrine and in a marketplace. It was interesting to say the least. There were many little shops selling everything from rice crackers to sweets to fake Valentino purses. On a random note I saw the fattest Japanese guy walking a tiny English bulldog at the shrine's market place. It was really funny seeing the both of them together and so I just walked by them and flashed the biggest smile. The man returned the favor. I think we were both laughing inside.
Tuesday We were all tired and wanted to go home, but when Aunt Kathleen mentioned an Art Museum we (or at least I) had to go. It was really nice to get to see such a great body of work featuring many Japanese and other artists. It was also interesting to get to see artwork from pre-war, during war and post-war Japan and how things changed and what didn't and what not.
Tomorrow we are going to DisneySea which is according to Michael, better than Tokyo Disney, and I hope that that is true. I can't wait to go!













1 comment:

Sarah said...

Laura, it looks and sounds like you're having a fantastic time-that's awesome! I'm really glad you took the opportunity to travel there, I'm sure it will be something you will never forget. I can't wait to hear some of your fun stories! ~Sarah~