Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fukiware Waterfall, Blueberry Picking and a Kokeshi Doll Factory



























Today was a nice but long day. Calidghe and I went on this trip and we had to wake up at 4 in the morning to go on a 4 hour bus ride to the country side somewhere up above Tokyo. I don't even know exactly what region we were in but let's just say it was rural. All the signs were completely in Japanese and there was farm country, rice fields, orchards; it was really beautiful. It was a nice change from the asphalt Jungle of the city. We went to a waterfall that our tour guide called "the Niagara of the East" but it wasn't so magnificent. it was pretty though and the area was really pretty. There was even a temple that was hidden away on an island that was very picturesque. I was also fasinated by all the crazy bugs we saw. We saw the biggest spider ever, and Calidghe said that this green bug almost attacked me, but I missed that. Also, on another note, I used my first Japanese-style toilet today. That was fun. Yes that is how rural we were. After that we went to this orchard area where they sold all kinds of different fruits. You name it, they were growing it. when we got there, we expected something a little bigger, like lots of berry plants, buckets full of berries, blueberries in the wild or something. When we got there there were a lot of blueberry bushes, but the 90% of the blueberries weren't ripe yet and also we got a tiny little container for them. So that was a bummer. Then after that we drove to a Kokeshi doll factory. The dolls are famous and you see them all over Japan. They are wooden figures rather than dolls but are brightly painted and made up. We got to see people make them and paint them up. All in all it was a long, hot but rather enjoyable day. next weekend is mt. Fuji Which I am not exactly looking forward to, but it's one of those things I know I should do. All I know is that it will be a hot, long and tiring weekend.

No comments: