Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chu Hai, Mochi and YAKUZA!

Sunday was a realitively boring day. I spent most of it watching T.V. , which I didn't mind for the first part of the day, since Calidghe and I were both so sore. But later that evening, I got so bored that I had to get up and out of the house. So John and I went and took a stroll around town. We walked around and John said I should get a Chu Hai. So I did. A Chu Hai according to John are like a Japanese Margarita. They come in all different flavours and I got mine in pineapple. That was fun and delicious. After that we went in search of mochi, which is one of John's favourite snacks. We ended up finding some delicious street food, these little meat on a stick thingys and the only normal things they had were pork and chicken meat. They also had pork heart, liver, tongue and chicken gizzards on a stick. I stuck with pork. We finally found some mochi at a Lawson's which is like a seven eleven. I'm sorry John, but mochi is highly unusual. I think it is more of a texutral thing, because eating something with a sweet teriyaki sauce that was the texture of melted marshmallow isn't my thing. mochi is basically mashed up rice balls with teriyaki sauce on them. Not my bag. While nibbling on mochi we came across a street where there were a bunch of guys wearing suits standing out in the middle of the street. It seemed strange, seeing all these dapper men in suits with those little earphone cords behind the ear... it seemed strange. John said they were the Yakuza, the notorious Japanese mafia. I've heard of the Yakuza and they are a scary bunch of dudes. It was still exciting to get to see them though.

No comments: