Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Kamakura, Great Buddha
































So Tuesday we went to Kamakura and went to see the Great Buddha. It was really neat because today was my first time on the trains and also my first time at a shrine. It was hot out, but not too hot, so it was a perfect day to travel. The trains I must say are confusing. Purchasing the tickets and making sure you are on the right train is scary because you kind of have to go with you gut and purchase the right ticket. We also had a transfer so that was also scary. The trains are prompt and on time and the best way to get around if you know what you are doing. The Great Buddha was really much bigger than I thought it was going to be. It was also quite beautiful and for 20 yen you could go inside of him and take a look around. Calidghe said that people used to jam coins into the the crevices inside of him, but there weren't any when we were there. I also got to see Buddha's shoes which were far larger than mine as a carefully compared them.
Later that evening Uncle John and I went out for a nice walk all around bluestreet. It was really nice. We sat and talked at Starbucks about college and carrier paths. I must say, Uncle John's really got me questioning my plan for interior design. The Department of Defense teaching programs are really neat and would allow me to do everything that I want to do. I could be an art teacher and get to see the world, and not to mention, the military would pay for many of my expenses. I'm sure he'll have me convinced by the end of my stay. We walked all over and we got these street vendor pancake custard things which were good. All in all, it was a nice day.

No comments: